29 jun. 2010

THE CITY OF IRVING IS NOT " NARIZONA"


About Irving,
I will say what it is, then. Given personal experience.
I have never encountered what I would consider 'racial profiling' in Irving. But I am bilingual, drive a 'non-Hispanic car' (the mere term should make us allponder, because police officer DO have a 'typical Hispanic Car' in mind when they are in the street) and can be considered 'fair' skinned.
On two separate occasions, hoevewer, I have ridden shot gun with my brother-in law, who is darker skinned, speaks with a heavy accent, drives a Ford Expedition, has a Piolín bumper sticker in the back, and visits South Irving constantly, as he is a printer who makes menus, business cards, placards and other collateral for the many small, Hisapnic-owned businesses in South Irving and greater metroplex area.
On these two occasions, he has been stopped by Irving police, once for an 'improper lane change,' and the other for going '3 miles over the speed limit.' On both occasions he has gotten off with a warning, which leads me to believe that the officers were more interested in obtaining other types of information than on enforcing Irving's traffic laws.
That's what it 'is'. And it's not right. Not in Irving; not in this country.
Gustavo A. Bujanda.

No hay comentarios.: